Monday, June 15, 2015

Robin van Persie convinced he can still lead line for Man Utd, won’t be part of a ‘puppet show’

Robin van Persie has dismissed speculation linking with a move away from Old Trafford this summer.
The Dutchman’s been heavily linked with move to Serie A, with both Juventus and Lazio being mentioned in the Italian press.
Speaking to reporters on Holland duty, Van Persie insisted he still has what it takes to lead the line at United, and reiterated his ambition to play until he’s 40.
United fans are losing faith in the Dutchman’s capability to stay fit and injury free for an entire season, and in the past two years he has undoubtedly began to show signs of age, and wear and tear.
But he highlighted that he only actually picked up one injury last season, and that he feels 100% fit right now.
He also comically says he won’t be part of a ‘puppet show’, which is probably a direct translation from Dutch, which is probably a metaphor for ‘I’m not going to be this summer’s ‘will he won’t he’ transfer story.
“Things could change now, but that all depends on Manchester United not me. Believe me, I’m relaxed — I’m not going to be part of a puppet show
“In a few years’ time I may have to accept that I will no longer play at the very highest level. I don’t think that moment is coming now. I still feel very, very fit.
In August I’m 32. But I still have the ambition to play for another eight years.
“Playing in the first-team is very important for me. This is why I will probably step down one level when I am 36 or 37. But not now.
“Whenever I have been fit at United I was playing in the first team all the time. People talk about my injuries, but I’ve only had one this season.
“I’ve seen too many players quit early. Most of them regret this soon after. I’ve seen those players in the national team and at my own clubs. Even big legends have regretted their retirement. Look at Paul Scholes.
“He did quit the game but he kept training and was missing football so much, because he knew he was still capable of playing at that level.”

No comments: