Friday, March 21, 2008

Martins,Newcastle Fight For Relegation

Obafemi Martins whose Premiership club, Newcastle United is in the throes of dropping to the Coca-Cola Championship is worried about his future at the St. James’ ground following the stalling of talks on his new five and a half years deal.
The Super Eagles forward who had a not to good outing at the African Cup of Nations in Ghana last month had expected talks to be concluded on the new deal said to worth 25 million pounds.
According to yesterday’s Sun of London, if the new deal had been signed three weeks ago, Martins would have been guaranteed a 90,000 pounds a-week package.
But the reality of Newcastle dropping out of the elite Premiership may have been responsible for why the management of the club is holding back assent to the new deal.
“Clubs usually have clauses where wages are cut if they drop into the Championship,” observed a source close to the Nigeria player.
However, unlike the get out clause in his contract when he came on board from Inter Milan, Martins and Newcastle big guns never bothered about wage cut for him because they never imagined finding the team in the type of relegation worries of the moment.
“Newcastle never bothered (about wage cut clause) because nobody ever expected they will be in this position,” stressed the informed source.
Three seasons ago, Nwankwo Kanu was in similar situation at West Brom Albion (WBA) but was lucky to have a get out clause (if relegated) in his contract. Kanu exploited it to move on to Portsmouth.
Just last Monday night, Martins was in tears after a shock decision by Newcastle United coach, Kevin Keegan to replace him against Birmingham City.
Martins who thought he was on top of his game, cruising in one of his best performances of recent felt slighted to have been pulled out ten minutes to the end of the 1-1 draw at Saint Andrews.
"I was upset when I had to come off. There were a few tears because I was frustrated and emotional - nobody likes to be taken off and I'm no different.
“I didn't want to go off because I wanted to help the team. I felt we were going to get the winner and I was frustrated when I saw that I was going off,” Confessed Martins who later denied any rift with Keegan.
Although Obagol said he did not understand why he was replaced, he has decided to put it behind him, since the coach explained the move afterwards.
"I didn't understand why I was being taken off so I made my feelings known but the manager was brilliant. He said he understood how I felt.
“He told me to relax because I had played well and that I'd been taken off because it was a tactical decision,” Obafemi concluded even as there are speculations that he may move if Newcastle drops out of the Premiership.

No comments: