Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Fae snub Lille moves

Reading midfielder Emerse Fae has dismissed reports linking him with a move to Lille, insisting he has had no contact with the Ligue 1 club.The 23-year-old was highly-rated in France when he was bought by Reading for a club-record £2.5 million fee from relegated Nantes in the summer.

Fae has failed to win a regular place in Steve Coppell's side, making just nine appearances, but he rubbished rumours he is set for a return to France.

"Honestly, I have never been contacted by anyone at Lille," Fae told French sports daily L'Equipe.

"Like everyone I read this rumour on the internet but I have no idea where it came from. I swear I'm the most surprised."

But the Ivory Coast international refused to rule out a January move after making just three starts this season.

"I'm not going to close any door," added Fae. "The transfer window closes in three weeks so I'm going to take the time to think about it.

"For the moment I haven't asked myself yet if I want to leave Reading or not.

"Above all I'm worried about my feeble amount of playing time. My only concern is to play. I can't allow myself to have a second half of the season like I've just had."

Fae's chances of securing a move are limited as he is set to fly out to Ghana for the African Cup of Nations which starts on January 20.

But he would rather be playing in the final on February 10 then packing up his bags to join another club.

"I know my priorities," he added. "I won't lose sight of the target. If I go to the cup it's to win and not to find a club.

"I will give my all to bring the trophy to our country, even though we know that many teams are of the same mind.

"That's even better for African football. It's very exciting.

"But it's like my situation at Reading, I wouldn't be surprised not to be chosen to play.

"I'm very aware of my good fortune just to be there."

No comments: