Friday, February 15, 2008

Kanu remains in Fratton Park -Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp has dismissed suggestions of striker Nwankwo Kanu moving to Australia as a 'lot of cobblers', but would not stand in the player's way if he wants to walk away from Fratton Park at the end of the season.
Kanu's agent Samuel Okoronkwo claims new Australian club Gold Coast Galaxy have expressed an interest in signing the former Arsenal star and that the player would be willing to listen to what the club have got to offer. Redknapp has rubbished the rumours and says he wants to keep Kanu at Pompey.
"If he wants to go I wouldn't stand in Kanu's way. You don't want unhappy players and I've never tried to keep them here.
"But I think talk of Australia is just a lot of cobblers, though. I think he wants to stay here. The lad seems to be happy and I don't want him to go anywhere. He has been terrific for me.
"He is out of contract at the end of the season but I want him to stay here - and I think he wants to stay."
In fact, Kanu needs just two more first-team appearances this season - making a total of 20 - to activate a clause in his latest Portsmouth contract which entitles him to the option of another one-year deal.
And sources close to the Super Eagles skipper hinted that Kanu is keen on staying at Fratton Park and is looking forward to securing his contract extension.
There are also strong indications that Kanu will be making an appearance in Sunday’s FA Cup 5th round clash at Preston North End.

No comments: