Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Adnan Januzaj admits he is struggling to fit into Louis van Gaal’s new formation

Adnan Januzaj admits he is struggling to fit into Louis van Gaal’s new formation this season.
The Belgium international - left out of Manchester United’s squad for the FA Cup replay against Cambridge United on Tuesday - has made just six starts under the Dutchman and was linked with loan moves to Paris Saint-Germain and Everton in the transfer window.
Januzaj looked to be getting back to his best form after playing the last two games, and impressed on his first Premier League start for nearly three months against Leicester City on Saturday.
However, Van Gaal has warned that he has to make the most of his undoubted potential and could not even find a place for the teenager on the bench for the fourth round replay.
Van Gaal has largely favoured the use of wing-backs and a midfield diamond since arriving at Old Trafford, which is not ideal for his wider attacking players. Januzaj played on the left side of the diamond in the win over Leicester but admits that he prefers the No.10 role or winger.
‘The system really can make it more difficult for me to play there but I have to keep working,’ he said. ‘That is what I am doing in training every day, as I want to get more games this season.

‘My favourite position is as a No 10 or a winger. There are lots of players here and I can play in different roles – it’s just a case of taking my opportunities.
‘I’m not really a wing-back. It’s harder for me because there is more defending involved and I’m not really a defender.’
Januzaj was one of the shining lights of the David Moyes era and was rewarded with a five-year deal worth £30,000-a-week. However he has faded dramatically this season and few would have been surprised to see him go out on loan.
He added: ‘Of course, last year I played a lot of games and every week I was feeling better and better. I’ve not been playing a lot this year but it’s okay I will try to work hard in training and out on the pitch.’

No comments: