Wednesday, January 9, 2008

AFCON 2008:Shittu expressed confidence

Watford defender Danny Shittu arrived the Nigeria Nations Cup camp on Wednesday afternoon with a promise to carry his goalscoring form into the tournament which kicks off in just over ten days.
Shittu has been in fine scoring form for his club and hit two goals over the weekend to help Watford progress in the FA Cup and he told reporter he is saving some goals for the African showpiece.

"I am happy to be scoring goals, you know," he told the Zone. "As a defender, my job is to keep out the goals but if I go up for set pieces and I can help out my team with a goal or two, thats great.

"Hopefully, I can carry that sort of threat into the Nations Cup and score goals for Nigeria too. But the important thing for me is to ensure that if I get picked, I keep the goals out at my end of the pitch."

And Shittu expressed confidence in the Super Eagles ability to beat all comers.

"We respect every team, but we have a job to do and we want to win the Nations Cup. I think we just have to stay focused, take each game one day at a time and get a result match by match.

"If we do that, we can achieve our objective."

Shittu arrived accompanied by Sunderland midfielder Dickson Etuhu.

No comments: