Sunday, February 1, 2015

Darren Fletcher's move to West Ham is off

MANCHESTER — Louis van Gaal revealed Darren Fletcher's move to West Ham is off after guiding Manchester United to a 3-1 win over Leicester City.

The midfielder traveled down to London to complete a medical on Friday ahead of a free transfer to West Ham, but Hammers boss Sam Allardyce said the transfer had broken down on Saturday.

Van Gaal said: "We want to help Fletcher. That's my only concern. I am very happy as a manager that he is coming back. He is my third captain. But because of the competition he is not playing so much. That is why I want to help him. 

"I don't know what is happening. The agreement was different on Friday and now on Saturday it is off. I don't know. I cannot say anything about it."

On the pitch, United was a comfortable winner at Old Trafford on Saturday as Robin van Persie, Radamel Falcao and a Wes Morgan own goal gave it a 3-0 lead at halftime on Saturday afternoon.

"I could not say very much at halftime so I was very happy as a coach," the Dutchman told the press. "I asked them to kill the game because when you remember the game in Leicester, we didn't kill the game. But I think we have killed the game too much. 

"We played more balls backwards and wide than forwards. And we have to learn, it is also a process, that you keep patience, that you don't take risky passes but when the pass is available because of the options of the strikers or the midfielders, then you have to play forwards without risk. We have killed the game in the second half so I said to my players I am happy. It's a good result."

After a sequence of three winless matches in the Premier League against Tottenham, Stoke City and Southampton, United has recovered to win two on the bounce against QPR and Leicester. 

The Red Devils are third behind Chelsea and Manchester City and a point ahead of Southampton but have played a game more. The Saints host Swansea on Sunda

No comments: