Saturday, July 19, 2008

Olympic Games:Marseille Hold On To Taye Taiwo

Nigeria defender Taye Taiwo is fighting a battle with officials of his French club Olympic Marseille in a bid to secure his release for next month's Olympic Games.
A Marseille statement on Thursday made it clear that the defender, along with Cameroon’s Modeste Mbami, would not be allowed to join up with their international teammates for the Games.
But the defender told KickOffNigeria.com that he is determined to fight the decision all the way.
"I spoke to my club officials yesterday and made it clear to them that I want to go for the Olympics. This is a very important competition for me and for my country, and all the fans back home want to see this team do well.
"We had a long talk at training yesterday and I hope they can see things my way."
Taiwo becomes the fourth player, after Ike Uche, Vincent Enyeama and Chinedu Obasi, whose participation is under threat following their clubs' reluctance to release them for the quadrennial Games.
Taiwo also took the opportunity to express his gratitude to NFA chairman Sani Lulu Abdullahi, who rang him up in the wake of the burglary incident at his home.
"I was surprised to get a call from the NFA chairman. In fact, I was shocked. I didn’t know I was considered that important. He called me to sympathise with me about the burglary at my house and I want to say thank you to him. It means a lot to me."

No comments: